KnitterPatter

Saturday, May 14, 2005

More of the Same

I'm beginning to feel like a broken record. Hey, everybody! I was knitting on a plane!

I had about one hectic week after returning home from Dayton before I was off on another business trip. I managed to do absolutely no knitting in that time, so I was happy to step onto the plane to Phoenix with my knitting in tow.



Yarn swift? We don't need no stinking yarn swift! Yep, that's me, winding some more Naturwolle before putting in some more work on my scarf. I am still in love with this yarn.

For as much my own amusement as yours, I asked a total stranger to take my picture on the plane. "That's a new one," he said. This is me knitting somewhere over Utah:



There have been many more flattering pictures of me in my lifetime than this one, but oh well. I am happy to report that our plane did NOT crash upon landing, despite one really sketchy moment at the end, when the plane teetered frighteningly as we were just about to touch down and it seemed certain that the wing was going to be the first thing to hit the runway instead of tires. However, the pilots recovered and we were just fine. Apparently Phoenix is a notoriously turbulent place to fly in to. I'm not fond of turbulent flights, and I found myself most irrationally thinking during our final approach, "As long as I keep knitting, we'll land just fine." Perhaps the calming vibes of knitting make their way up into the cockpit of the plane and guide the pilots. Yeah, that's it.

As a parting shot, here's what I look like knitting over the Grand Canyon:



Also not the most flattering picture ever, and another turbulent ride. The iPod is actually self-defense in this case. My co-worker is the one who took this picture, and two rows in front of us on this tiny 12-row plane was a man who actually turned around and talked to the poor people behind him in an annoyingly loud voice for the majority of the hour-and-a-half flight in about the most inane and uninteresting things. It was driving me to contemplate how effective my knitting needle might be as a weapon on a flight (don't tell the FAA). I turned to my co-worker, held the needle out to him, and said, "You know what needs to be done." Which gave us a good laugh, and I retracted the offer of the needle, because, after all, I wouldn't want to ruin good plane-knitting for knitters everywhere.