KnitterPatter

Friday, June 03, 2005

Mergers and Acquisitions

Hooray, a Rogue milestone has been reached!


Ladies and Gentlemen, we have shoulder seams

Yes, I finished the front and back of Rogue and seamed the shoulders together with a mattress stitch. I think the seams turned out well enough, despite my lack of proficiency in the finishing arena. I have just had so little practice at seaming that it still feels awkward to me, but I feel like I am improving slowly, and I'm much less intimidated by it now.

Next up: the hood! It is starting to feel like I'm in the home-stretch on this sweater, since the hood is the last thing I have to knit. I knit the sleeves first (and long ago), so I just have to do the hood, graft it together, and attach the sleeves, and then I'll be done. Hooray!

In addition to knitting progress, I thought I'd show off a few recent acquisitions. Here they are as an overview. You would doubtless be amused if you could see the precarious position I got myself into to take the picture. As I spend a lot of time hanging out on a bed, usually strapped that fun Continuous Passive Motion machine that bends my knee for me, that's where I've been doing a lot of knitting and blogging lately. Anyway, I wanted to photograph this stuff from above, so in order to do so, I ended up kneeling on my right knee with my left leg, which is immobilized into a straight position and which is not supposed to bear my weight, stuck out precariously to the left, forming a sort of rickety triangle with my right leg. All that, and I ended up with this rather badly-lit photo:


New stuffsies, poorly lit

Now, I realize that the more yarn I acquire, the more I risk running into SABLE (stash accumulation beyond life expectancy), especially considering how much lovely yarn for excellent projects I already have, but it couldn't be helped. In the first instance, it wasn't even my fault:


Kool-Aid dying, here I come

This is the Knit Picks Color Your Own merino sock yarn that I got from Kim as a get-well present, along with directions for Kool-Aid dying that she printed off for me from Knitty. I can't wait to try it out!


Noro Goodness

The other yarn IS my fault, however. I decided to stop in at KnitCraft in Ogden yesterday when I was on the way home from my physical therapy in order to indulge in a little retail therapy, and I came away with three lovely skeins of Noro Kureyon in the #88 colourway, with which I plan to make a Booga Bag. I have never felted a single thing in the entire course of my life before, not even accidentally, and I finally decided that it is time. Does that justify the purchase? Probably not. But maybe the lovely purple, gold, greens, and browns in the yarn do...


I succumbed to Socks, Socks, Socks

Finally, to round out the retail therapy, I purchased a copy of Socks, Socks, Socks. There are so many great sock patterns in here that I am a little surprised I didn't buy a copy of this book sooner. However, I think it was probably the less-than-appealing cover photo that deterred me. What is this woman wearing?? Yes, I can appreciate the cool funkiness and interesting technique of her socks, though I must say I think the color choice doesn't do the pattern justice, but really, c'mon, who would wear that outfit in that manner?? Ah, well, to each her own, I guess.

Hiding under the new book is a copy of Knit 'n Style that I picked up at the grocery store a few days ago. I really have no idea why I persist in buying this magazine, but I always do. In fact, it seems that I am powerless to resist purchasing any knitting magazine, even if I think that the patterns are all hideous (as I most often do when reading Knit 'n Style). I guess I just like to keep up on the articles, techniques, and even the advertisements. I like to know what kind of new yarns are out there, and one of the major ways they seem to be promoted is through patterns. And I like to think that, even if I might not ever make the patterns that I find so ugly, perhaps I might learn from them and be able to take elements from their design in the future if I ever decide to start designing my own clothes, as I'd like to.

Happy weekend, everyone!